A wonderful family group photo I found at the Giant Fleamarket at the Bath and West Showground last Sunday, with writing on the back!
After compiling a small family tree on Ancestry I have corrected Albert’s middle name and added Arabella’s surname.
Here’s a bit of the Pitt family’s family history to go with all those names:
Albert Ernest PITT was born on 12 Jan 1855 in Bedminster, Bristol, Somerset as the third child of Henry Raper PITT and Pheobe Ann GILLING ( PITT, ALBERT ERNEST GILLING GRO Reference: 1855 M Quarter in BEDMINSTER Volume 05C Page 781 ).
He had ten siblings, namely: William Henry, William H, Teresa F, Laura Annett, Edward George, Arthur John, Julia Augusta, Louise Marin, Charles F, and Herbert F. When he was 25, he married Arabella Maria WEBSTER,daughter of James WEBSTER and Elizabeth Mary PROVAND, in 1881 (No Record found, have tried Ancestry, Find My Past and The Genealogist?) If anyone find a Marriage record for them, please let me know, have I missed a misspelling somewhere? Update…see below:
Found by Chris from Twitter! See details below from Twitter of Scotland’s People site. Huge thanks to @CLeeEsq Here’s the Marriage record:
Albert Ernest PITT
Arabella M WEBSTER
Ref 644/6 214
Registered at St Rollox, Scotland from @ScotlandsPeople
My good friend Simon from Charnwood Genealogy also found the record at the same time as Chris, great minds, thanks to Simon too!
Simon has also found a report in The Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette from Saturday 13th September 1930, which is fabulous as it also gives us the marriage date! You can find Simon’s own website here: Charnwood Genealogy.
Albert Ernest PITT lived in Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England in 1861 and 1871 living with his parents and siblings, in 1871 he is a Clerk in the County Court, his father Henry was a Clerk.
Albert and Arabella lived in Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England in 1881 now married and Albert head of the household, described as a Clerk in the County Court still.
The family lived in Walcot Terrace, Bath, Somerset, England in 1884, then in St Peter and St Paul district, Somerset, England in 1891, Albert occupation is a Chemist, quite a change!
Then by the time of the 1901 the family were living in Bath, Somerset, Albert described as a Homeopathic Chemist, and by 02 Apr 1911, Albert’s occupation was a Manufacturer of Foods, Puddings, Powders, Blancmange, Egg and Bakery powders. Two of their daughters Dorothy and Elizabeth were Milliners.
Albert and Arabella lived in no 3 Devonshire Buildings, Bath, Somerset in the 1939 census, Albert’s occupation was a Minister of Religion. He died on 04 Nov 1943 in 3, Devonshire Buildings, Wellsway, Bath, Somerset. His estate was probated on 06 Dec 1943 in Bristol.
Albert and Arabella had eight children
1. Lillian Maude Mary PITT was born in Apr 1882 in Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England ( PITT, LILLIAN MAUDE MARY WEBSTER GRO Reference: 1882 J Quarter in BARTON REGIS Volume 06A Page 172 ). She died in Jul 1934 in Bath, Somerset. She had married George MILNE on 12 Sep 1913 in Bath, Somerset, England.
2. Arthur Maxwell PITT was born in 1885 in Bath, Somerset, England. He died in Jul 1899 in Bath, Somerset (At 4 Stanley Villas)aged just one year old.
3. Elizabeth Winifred PITT was born on 09 Jan 1887 in Bath, Somerset, England. She died on 19 Jan 1957 in Bath. She had married Silas John Alan CRESSEY on 12 Jun 1913 in Church In The Vineyards, Bath.
4. Dorothy Grace PITT was born on 06 Aug 1888 in Bath, Somerset, England. She died in Jan 1979 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. She had married William T JONES in Apr 1915 in Bath, Somerset.
5. Claude Edwin PITT was born in Apr 1891 in Bath, Somerset, England. He died in Jan 1893 in Bath, Somerset (22 Months old).
6. Phyllis Bertha PITT was born in Jul 1894 in Bath, Somerset, England. She died in Jul 1969 in Scilly Islands, Cornwall, England. She had married Arthur Cockerill STEVENSON in Jul 1920 in Bath, Somerset.
7. John Tarbet PITT was born on 08 Jan 1897 in Bath, Somerset, England. He died in Oct 1977 in Torbay, Devon, England. He had married Gwendolyn B EVANS in Jul 1928 in Watford, Hertfordshire.
8. Francis James PITT was born on 15 Apr 1901 in Bath, Somerset. He died in 1972 in Bridport, Dorset, England. He had married Judith Kathleen Irene HARRISON in Oct 1927 in Bath, Somerset.
So the surnames Milne, Cressey, Jones, Stevenson are all identified from the writing on the back of the photo, plus we have the names of Evans and Harrison join the family Pitt. Obviously some of their Grandchildren are here in this photo taken around 1931 too. I found one other photo with this Golden Wedding group, possibly one of their children in the group. No writing on the back though. So sweet.
Here’s the Public Family Tree on Ancestry, I have gone back to Albert and Arabella’s Grandparents: PITT Family Lynns Waffles
Do you know any of the family descended from this couple? If you do please get in touch.
Till next time then……….